Torture, pain and ways to make people suffer!
We all have a strange fascination with the ways to make other human beings suffer. Some of the weirdest and scariest stuff has been invented in favour of that.
Here’s some of the most gruesome machines that in my opinion will haunt your nightmares.
The Brazen Bull
– When a victim is placed inside the brazen bull, he or she is slowly burned to death. This device gradually became more sophisticated until the Greeks invented a complex system of tubes in order to make the victim’s screams sound like an infuriated ox. Imagine that.
The Breast Ripper
– Used as a way to punish women, the breast ripper was a painful and cruel way to mutilate a woman’s breasts.This instrument was mostly reserved for women accused of conducting a miscarriage or those accused of adultery.The claws were used either hot or cold on the victim’s exposed breasts. If the victim wasn’t killed she would be scarred for life as her breasts were literally torn apart.
The Head Crusher
– The head crusher was widely used during most of the Middle Ages, especially the Inquisition. With the chin placed over the bottom bar and the head under the upper cap, the torturer slowly turned the screw pressing the bar against the cap.This resulted in the head being slowly compressed. First the teeth are shattered into the jaw then the victim slowly died with agonizing pain, but not before his eyes were squeezed from their sockets. Not exactly the fast and painless way to go but then again that wasn`t the intention.
The Judas Cradle
– A terrible medieval torture where the victim would be placed on top of a pyramid-like seat. The victim’s feet were tied to each other in a way that moving one leg would force the other to move as well – increasing pain.The triangular-shaped end of the judas cradle was inserted in the victim’s anus or vagina. This torture could last, depending on some factors discussed below, anywhere from a few hours to a few days. A common variant of the Judas Cradle was the Impalement Torture
To be honest I did not imagine that this kind of torture and death device could exist. This is some really sick sh… stuff. How can someone come up with something like this?!?
– The pillory was used to publicly humiliate a victim. Even though it was meant as a mild form of punishment, the crowd sometimes made it lethal.The pillory often served as a post for Flagellation. When the victim was restrained with the device, they were completely defenseless and subject to the crowd. Perhaps this is one of the least brutal devices in this post.
– Primarily on women,the device was an iron muzzle in an iron framework that enclosed the head. A bridle-bit or curb-plate, about 2 inches long and 1 inch broad, projected into the mouth and pressed down on top of the tongue. The curb-plate was frequently studded with spikes, so that if the offender moved her tongue, it inflicted pain and made speaking impossible. Wives who were seen as witches, shrews and scolds, were forced to wear the branks, locked onto their head.This is an 18th century Scold’s bridle in the Mrkisches Museum in Berlin
NOW THAT’S HOW YOU DEAL WITH BLABBER MOUTHS!
The Almighty Crocodile Shears
– The crocodile shears had a very specific purpose: To mutilate those who attempted to assassinate the king. The interior design closely resembles a tube containing numerous spikes on both ends. Although it was sometimes used to mutilate the fingers, its most common purpose was to mutilate a man’s penis.
Now why would you want to mutilate an assailant’s penis instead of simply killing him slowly? Using Judas’ Cradle for example.
The Chair of Torture
– There are many variants of the chair. They all have one thing in common: spikes cover the back, arm-rests, seat, leg-rests and foot-rests. The number of spikes in one of these chairs ranges from 500 to 1,500. To avoid movement, the victim’s wrists were tied to the chair or, in one version, two bars pushed the arms against arm-rests for the spikes to penetrate the flesh even further. In some versions, there were holes under the chair’s bottom where the torturer placed coal to cause severe burns while the victim still remained conscious.
IMHO it would be a good replacement for the Game of Thrones’ throne!
The Coffin Torture
– The period of time a victim was to be kept inside the coffin was determined by his or her crime. Very serious crimes, such as blasphemy, were punished by death inside the coffin where the victim was to be kept inside under the sun with animals eating his or her flesh.
That’s actually a pretty good way to set an example for all other law breakers.
Stay tuned for part 2.