So, I hope you’ve liked the first part.
Not it’s time for part two! Are you ready? Ready or not here we go….
- or should it be 11? Anyway…
The Garrotte Torture
– The victim was tied to the instrument and his or her neck forced inside the iron collar. With the handle that can be seen in the picture, the executioner slowly crushed the victim’s neck causing death from asphyxia.
The Heretics Fork
– The instrument consists of two forks set against each other that penetrated the flesh under the chin at one end and the upper chest at the other. As usual, this instrument didn’t harm any vital points thus avoiding death and prolonging pain.The victim’s hands were tied behind their back to prevent any chance of escape. The Heretics Fork made speech and neck movement almost impossible and was used after a confession to avoid hearing the victim any further. As can be seen in the picture, a small collar supported the fork forcing the victim to hold their head erect.
The Knee Splitter
– Even though the name implies that this instrument was only used for “splitting” knees, it was also used in other body parts including: the elbows, arms and even the lower legs. As the torturer turned the handle, the claws slowly slammed against each other mutilating any skin in between. The number of spikes the knee splitter contained varied from three to more than twenty.
The Pear of Anguish
– A pear-shaped instrument was inserted into one of the victim’s orifices: the vagina for women, the anus for homosexuals and the mouth for liars and blasphemers.The instrument consisted of four leaves that slowly separated from each other as the torturer turned the screw at the top. It was the torturer’s decision to simply tear the skin or expand the “pear” to its maximum and mutilate the victim.
Wait, what? Is that how dildoes are invented?!
The Rack Torture
– The torturer turned the handle causing the ropes to pull the victim’s arms and legs. Eventually, the victim’s bones were dislocated with a loud crack. If the torturer kept turning the handles, some of the limbs were torn apart, usually the arms.
The Rat Torture
– A cheap and effective way to torture someone was with the use of rats. There were many variants, but the most common was to force a rat through a victim’s body as a way to escape. This was done as follows:The victim was completely restrained and tied to the ground or any horizontal surface. A rat was then placed on his stomach covered by a metallic container. As the container was gradually heated, the rat began to look for a way out – through the victim’s body. Digging a hole usually took a few hours and caused agonizing pain for the victim. This resulted in death.
This might be the worse of this post’s tortures. It’s been recently shown in the Game of Thrones books and series.
was widely used throughout the Middle Ages, mainly because the tools required were found in most houses and no complex devices were required. It was a cheap way to torture and kill a victim who was often accused of: witchery, adultery, murder, blasphemy or even theft.The victim was tied to an inverted position. This had several “benefits”: first, it assured sufficient blood diverted to the brain, second, it slowed down the loss of blood and third, it humiliated the victim. Depending on the victim and torturer, this torture could last several hours. When a confession was required, the victim was frequently forced to watch someone else be subjected to this method. If they didn’t confess, they would be slowly cut in half.
- The Spanish Tickler – Sounds like a kinky sex toy right? -WRONG! This terrible device was used in most of Europe during the Middle Ages. It’s a very simple instrument that was used to tear a victim’s skin apart. Due to its shape, neither bones nor muscles were spared. The victim was naked and detained,making him or her completely defenseless. Then the torturers began the sometimes public act of mutilating the victim. They often began with the limbs and slowly moved into the chest, back, neck and eventually the face.
The Virgin of Nuremberg AKA The Maiden
– The victim was tied inside the Maiden and one of the two doors was shut, penetrating the victim’s flesh with the strategically-placed spikes that didn’t penetrate any vital organs. When completely closed, the screams from the victim could not be heard outside, nor could the victim see any light or hear anything. This increased the psychological pain. Additionally, the spikes blocked the wounds so it took many hours – or even days – for death to occur
The Wheel Torture AKA Breaking Wheel
– The victim’s limbs were tied to the spokes and the wheel itself was slowly revolved. Through the openings between the spokes, the torturer usually hit the victim with an iron hammer or club that could easily break the victim’s bones. Once their bones were broken, they would be left on the wheel to die, sometimes placed on a tall pole, so the birds could feed from the still-living human.
– The victim’s fingers were placed inside the instrument and slowly crushed as the torturer turned the handle on top. This method was primarily used to extract confessions as it was both painful and lasting.
Part 3 is on the way. Stay tuned!